16.2.11

passages

two passages from "Call Me By Your Name" that really get to me.

Chiagneva sempe ca durmeva sola,
mo dorme co' li muorte accompagnata

She always wept because she slept alone,
Now she sleeps among the dead

I can, from the distance of years now, still think I'm hearing the voices of two young men singing these words in Neapolitan toward daybreak, neither realizing, as they held each other and kissed again and again on the dark lanes of old Rome, that is was the last night they would ever make love again.

"Tomorrow let's go to San Clemente," I said.
"Tomorrow is today," he replied
.

and

"I'm like you," he said. "I remember everything."
I stopped for a second. If you remember everything, I wanted to say, and if you are really like me, then before you leave tomorrow, or when you're just ready to shut the door of the taxi and have already said goodbye to everyone else and there's not a thing left to say in this life, then, just this once, turn to me, even in jest, or as an afterthought, which would have meant everything to me when we were together, and, as you did back then, look me in the face, hold my gaze, and call me by your name.

The entire book is just good. A summer romance that is done by the fall, but lingers still over the years. I found that I could relate a lot to the feelings presented in this piece of work and I think that's why I find myself growing sad when I read it. Though I read it to remind me of him, even if I should just as well forget.

No comments: