1.3.11

I Call Shenanigans On… (volume 1)

 

First I am going to preface this with a minor thing that is irritating me.  I downloaded Evernote this evening.  I downloaded it to help organize my various writing projects and it is wonderful.  So why the irritation?  Did it suddenly chafe me in places I’d rather not be chafed?  Maybe.  The truth of the matter is, it keeps synchronizing and alerting me in the corner of my screen.  The same way that stupid formspring app on my iPhone keeps alerting me every five goddamn seconds that I have unanswered questions.  Well newsflash!  Life seems to be nothing more than fracking unanswered questions!!!!!

Alright, now that’s out of the way.

The future.  It’s so unpredictable, right?  The road before us is just littered with so much possibility.  Anything could happen.  Anything.

Stop.  Right.  There.

The next time a guy, or girl if that’s your fancy, asks you if they might have a chance, please, please, PLEASE don’t use a line like: “I’m open to the possibility.  You never know what the future might hold.”

I call bullshit on that.  I’ll admit.  I’ve used it.  And I used it for the reason I imagine most people do.  They’re too afraid to be honest and possibly hurt someone’s feelings.  That or someone just has a serious phobia of commitment.  Either way, bogus, bogus, BOGUS!

While yes, the future is most assuredly open and unpredictable, it isn’t completely random or unknown.  Crouched somewhere in the field of possibility is a thing called “probability”.  It’s that thing that keeps suckers in low-income status where they are because they’re spending money, that could otherwise go to bettering their lives, on lottery tickets.  Is there a chance they’ll win big?  Sure.  Is it probable?  No.  Life is not just a series of unanswered questions; it’s also a game of statistics and numbers.

Deep down, when you’re telling someone who has an interest in you if there’s a chance they can get with you and any other occasion you’d say “no”, but they’re just too damn nice or sweet, you know you’re selling them a lottery ticket.

On another note…

Don’t buy into the whole “if it’s meant to be, then it’ll happen.”

Unless of course you subscribe to the idea that every moment of our lives has been plotted out already in some grand production directed by the Invisible Man Upstairs.  Fate is an illusion.  We are beings of Free Will and make all our own decisions.  Our futures are the products of those decisions. 

We’re not on rails.  And if we are, how do I get off this ride?

No comments: